How to Install Rim Drive Underwater Thrusters for Unmanned Vehicles
A major advantage of our rim drive motors as compared to traditional motors is the installation complexity. All our motors are fitted with a so-called mounting socket on the top side of the motor. The mounting socket has six threaded holes in either M8, M10 or M12 depending on the specific motor type. These threaded holes can be used for a strong connection to the hull. After waterproofing the hull/motor passthrough, the following steps should be taken:
- Connect the three phase cables to the delivered motor controller by using the already fitted cable lugs.
- Connect the temperature sensor cable to the motor controller by using the fitted 2-pin SuperSeal connector.
- Connect the plus and minus cables from the battery via the fuse box, which can be purchased from us or from elsewhere, to the correct motor controller terminals.
- Connect the 3-pin SuperSeal connector from the throttle control to the motor controller.
- Attach the contact switch and/or kill switch to the fused bypass and the correct pin for safe operation of the system.
After installing the system, it is immediately ready for operation since the motor controller, motor and throttle are all already configured by us